About Me

A sound dude from the Game Audio industry that just wants to share his sounds and ideas about sound design and SFX recording.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Magnetic!



It's been a long time since I wanted to record some magnetic sources and after reading nice documented blogs from other sound designers (JED and faunethic to name a few..), I thought it would be fun to give it a shot!

With a friend of mine a few months ago, I bought a Seymour Duncan pickup and we started experimenting with our new toy.. I used it in combination with 2 recorders a Fostex FR-2 and a Sony D-50. I try to record all sort of equipment such as : Hard drives, hoovers,  a Liquid mixer, remote controls (TVs and smaller ones), small milk mixers, fans, motorized screwdrivers, etc..

Seymour Duncan Pickup

To have the best results while recording I had to use the pickup really close to the source and push the gain quite dramatically on the recorders as these sounds can be very quiet especially for the remotes that produced the beeps "data" type of sound when you push keys on them.
Also in general, I found that the sound produced was more interesting on small sources that I could control (HD, razors, motorized tools) rather than big ones like huge fans that generates a constant hum..

Anyway have fun listening to the one minute medley I made from my best magnetic recordings! Regarding the processing on these takes, I did not do that much except denoising and a bit of compression.


Magnetism_DataVariations_01 by gugasprod

No comments:

Post a Comment